Monday, October 17, 2011

Occupy Wall Street and other Protests

I figured it's only a matter of time before a friend or family member asks me about the protest, so I wanted to sum up my thoughts:

While I think the group is largely unfocused, misguided and uninformed, I'm actually mixed on the whole thing. This is due to the fact that I have no idea what the secondary effects will be. And, I believe like most things, it should be judged by the secondary effects.

If protesting helps future college students choose engineering over economics, it's a positive for society. More doctors and engineers and fewer hedge fund managers is good.

If massive protests prevents excess corporate greed (however unlikely). Another plus.

If, however, a major financial institution collapses because it doesn't receive the government support it needs because politicians are too concerned about their next election and appeasing the loud voices of a protest, then this is clearly not good.

So net, I'm not sure. If another major bank collapses we'll all be out of work - doctors, engineers and hedge fund managers.

No comments:

Post a Comment